Monday, October 04, 2004
These facts? Uh, Not So Fun.
1. Each day, 1 in 4 Americans visits a fast food restaurant
2. In 1972, we spent 3 billion a year on fast food - today we spend more than 110 billion
3. McDonald's feeds more than 46 million people a day - more than the entire population of Spain
4. French fries are the most eaten vegetable in America
5. You would have to walk for seven hours straight to burn off a Super Sized Coke, fry and Big Mac
6. In the U.S., we eat more than 1,000,000 animals an hour
7. 60 % of all Americans are either overweight or obese
8. One in every three children born in the year 2000 will develop diabetes in their lifetime
9. Left unabated, obesity will surpass smoking as the leading cause of preventable death in America
10. Obesity has been linked to: Hypertension, Coronary Heart Disease, Adult Onset Diabetes, Stroke, Gall Bladder Disease, Osteoarthritis, Sleep Apnea, Respiratory Problems, Endometrial, Breast, Prostate and Colon Cancers, Dyslipidemia, steatohepatitis, insulin resistance, breathlessness, Asthma, Hyperuricaemia, reproductive hormone abnormalities, polycystic ovarian syndrome, impaired fertility and lower back pain
11. The average child sees 10,000 TV advertisements per year
12. Only seven items on McDonald's entire menu contain no sugar
13. Willard Scott was the first Ronald McDonald - he was fired for being too fat
14. McDonald's distributes more toys per year than Toys-R-Us
15. Diabetes will cut 17-27 years off your life
16. McDonald's: "Any processing our foods undergo make them more dangerous than unprocessed foods"
17. The World Health Organization has declared obesity a global epidemic
18. Eating fast food may be dangerous to your health
19. McDonald's calls people who eat a lot of their food "Heavy Users"
20. McDonald's operates more than 30,000 restaurants in more then 100 countries on 6 continents
21. Before most children can speak they can recognize McDonald's
22. Surgeon General David Satcher: "Fast food is a major contributor to the obesity epidemic"
23. Most nutritionists recommend not eating fast food more than once a month
24. 40% of American meals are eaten outside the home
25. McDonald's represents 43% of total U.S. fast food market
Posted by Ronald McDonald